Thursday, June 19, 2008

Why I Blog

Staying connected

I've had so many different profile pages in the past - from Friendster to Facebook, I've done them all. And the major reason why I joined these social networks was really to keep in touch with friends I never would have contacted otherwise. Because of these sites, I was able to find a good friend I had in high school who moved to San Francisco, and was even able to find my best friend from elementary school! (As it turns out, she lives in NY as well!)

Still, I found these certain websites to be a little too tedious to work through - it was hard to upload photos, people had to create user profiles before they could see my photos, I couldn't write a blog while showing photos and vice versa, so I longed for a more straightforward way of sharing my thoughts and photos via the internet.

I had heard of blogs and was definitely interested in making one, but was always intimidated at the thought of making it look nice and having to maintain it. And then a friend of mine, Holly, showed me her blog at http://gonnamakeachange.blogspot.com

Wow! In her blog, she shares so many things about herself to her readers... things that I would have never known about if not for this fantastic and new medium of communication.

This is not to say that blogging is a substitute for face to face communication and socialization. Blogging is a way to enhance one's ability to socialize and communicate with others. And was this not my reason for joining these social websites to begin with, anyway?

So having been inspired by Holly to write my own blog, I tinkered around with the blogger.com interface (which I find to be easier than expected!). I had just gotten back from Manila that time, so I excitedly uploaded my pictures from our trip to Manila. Success! I had a blog!

So now, what?

I post updates about myself and Javi to communicate to others, but there must be some sort of a structure to it, right? And why did I call it "K's Apartment"? Again, this is a way for me to let you, the reader, into my "apartment," as I share with you my extracurricular activities (usually having to do with food, btw), thoughts, and dreams.

This is also my way of sharing my experiences as someone who grew up in both the US and Manila, and is now independent of her parents (a big thing among Filipinos), married, and working in one of the greatest cities of the world.

This is why I write.

I write in the hopes that perhaps the things I share with all of you make you laugh, make you think, or inspire you to do something for yourselves that you never would have done before (even if it's something like parting your hair a different way!).

And this is certainly not a one-way conversation. Please leave me comments or send me your experiences that I can post here if you want to share them. OR, create a blog of your own so that we can create a dialogue!

-K

1 comment:

Holly said...

I'm glad I was able to show you how easy it is, Kristine! Have fun blogging! You're off to a great start.