Saturday, April 4, 2009

Tickets to a Show, and the Corner Bistro

When we got a notice from FedEx Friday evening that said we had a package we had to sign for, Javi and I got really curious to find out what it was. One of the conveniences of living in an apartment building where you can trust the other tenants on your floor is the ability to have packages left in front of your door without having to worry about someone stealing it.


So where could this package have come from? Javi had a cousin flying in from Manila, so if his parents had sent anything, it would have been through his cousin. And my mom and sister were coming soon as well, so they weren't about to send a package if it was going to arrive about the same time they would! I hadn't bought anything online, and our house people (we're in the process of buying a house) know better than to ask to have a package signed for upon delivery.

The good thing was, the note said we could pick it up at a nearby FedEx office on Saturday. This forced us to get out of our almost too comfortable apartment and trek over to the West Village in gorgeous Spring weather.
For those of you who haven't been to Manhattan, the Village (aka Greenwich Village) certainly has a lot of character. It's also where you'll find the famous Bleecker St., cute botique shops of brand name items (Coach, Ralph Lauren, Juicy Couture), as well as Hollywood celebrities if you're lucky. Definitely a must if you're a first-time tourist and are in the mood for a nice stroll down cobblestone streets. But you have to be sharp enough to appreciate what you see. Take the following picture, for example:
Only in NY can you find a bent telephone booth, with a guy STILL trying to use it!

When we arrived at the FedEx office, it took a while for the lady to ge the package. So while we waited in utmost curiosity and anticipation, I took a few shots.

After these shots, I didn't mind the wait. I'm really glad I forced myself to bring my camera with me at all times.
So we finally got the package - the typical thin FedEx cardboard envelope that hardly told us what was inside. But the mystery was finally solved when Javi opened the envelope to reveal the title "Ticketmaster."
They were the U2 tickets we ordered!!! Wahoooo!!!

So mystery solved! And after making sure that the tickets were kept safe in my bag, we started thinking of where we should have lunch. Javi had been promising to take me to a place called Corner Bistro, but always forgot about it when we were actually in the Village. This time, he remembered, so off we went.

Corner Bistro is an old establishment with relatively cheap drinks and food, and pretty good burgers. I tried the Cheeseburger, while Javi tried the Chiliburger. The star of this restaurant, however, is the Bistro Burger, but I think we both wanted to be rebels and each order something else.
I couldn't take a photo of Javi's Chiliburger because he inhaled it even before I had the chance to take the camera back out, but I did get the chance to take a shot of the interesting tabletop.
I wouldn't die if I couldn't come back here, but I also wouldn't hate having to come back to this neighborhood watering hole again. Seeing as I don't drink alcohol, that should be a reasonable conclusion to have come from me. For those of you who DO drink, and love a good burger and greasy fries, then I definitely recommend you give this place a shot. ;)

No comments: