Monday, June 15, 2009

The Time Traveler's Wife

By Audrey Niffeneger

First of all, credit is due to my other future sister-in-law, Celine, for sending me the link to one of the most anticipated movies by those of us who love romantic narratives. Thanks, Celine! After a crazy day at work and an even crazier evening taking care of personal items, seeing this trailer lifted my mood!!! *I'm so excited!*

I wrote a short book review about The Time Traveler's Wife back when I was still using my Multiply account, so here's an excerpt:

The two main reasons why I like this book: there are so many themes to analyze, and the book is so awesome to study from a narratological standpoint.

The novel is based upon the premise that some humans, such as its protagonist, Henry, have a chronological disorder that causes them to time travel in (or, to) times of stress or despair.

To be honest, I am only halfway through this narrative, but I find it extremely intriguing as to how the author has managed to spin the tale of Henry's two different lives (his present self and his self as a time traveler), along with that of his wife, Clare. Henry, at around 40, travels back in time to when Clare is 6, where she meets him for the first time. Does her meeting him at such a young age change her future completely in such a way that 40 year-old Henry predetermined the fact that they would later on get married? If 6 year-old Clare had not accidentally seen 40 year-old Henry, would she have been as keen to see him when she was 20 and he was 28?

It's an interesting premise, and I'm sure Rachel McAdams and Eric Bana will do the novel justice in their movie. Check out the trailer here:

No comments: